The fire that broke out at Old Mutual Towers in Nairobi during New Year celebrations has been successfully extinguished.
According to reports, a New Year fireworks display at the iconic skyline reportedly caused the huge fire on Sunday night.
Images and videos doing rounds across social media platforms showed thick smoke billowing from the building with a visible fire at the top floors shortly after a spectacular display of fireworks.
The tower management, in a statement on Monday, confirmed the fire incident saying firefighters had already responded and addressed the situation.
“We acknowledge there was a minor incident after the New Year Fireworks celebration at the Old Mutual Tower. This was on the balcony of a top floor and it has since been contained. We thank all our celebrants for the notifications and we wish you all a Happy 2024,” read the statement.
There have been no reports of casualties or injuries.