Phil Foden scored twice as holders Manchester City cruised into the fourth round of the FA Cup with a 5-0 win over Huddersfield Town on Sunday, with playmaker Kevin De Bruyne making a welcome return after four months out with a hamstring injury.
Fielding a strong side, City suffered a setback when they lost defender Manuel Akanji to injury early in the first half, but Foden’s superb finishing and De Bruyne’s comeback gave coach Pep Guardiola plenty to be happy about.
Huddersfield, who are hovering just above the relegation zone in England’s second-tier Championship, fell behind in the 33rd minute when Foden rifled the ball into the net from a tight angle, and striker Julian Alvarez poked home a second four minutes later.
De Bruyne entered the fray in the 57th minute and City added their third a minute later as Norwegian winger Oscar Bobb tried to pick out the Belgian at the far post, only to see his deflected cross loop into the net to make it 3-0.
Foden added his second with a precise shot from the edge of the area in the 65th minute, and nine minutes later De Bruyne teed up fellow substitute Jeremy Doku to complete the rout.
MANCHESTER CITY VS HUDDERSFIELD TOWN LIVE: FA CUP UPDATES
- Holders Man City begin FA Cup defence at home to Huddersfield Town
- GOAL! Phil Foden scores for the hosts – Manchester City 1-0 Huddersfield [33’]
- GOAL! Julian Alvarez strikes – Manchester City 2-0 Huddersfield [37’]
- HT: Man City 2-0 Huddersfield
- GOAL! Oscar Bobb effort deflected home – Manchester City 3-0 Huddersfield [58’]
- GOAL! Phil Foden scores his second – Manchester City 4-0 Huddersfield [65’]
- GOAL! Jeremy Doku adds another – Manchester City 5-0 Huddersfield [75’]