On New Year’s Eve, we anticipate prominent fireworks presentations at designated venues, featuring a variety of displays such as firecrackers, close-proximity, and special events fireworks. Only contractors authorized under the Explosive Act will be permitted to orchestrate these displays in accordance with standard protocols.
The approved contractors for the night of December 31, 2023, to January 1, 2024, include M/S Sky Flames Uganda Ltd, M/S Quality Lighting Uganda Ltd, M/S Extremes Events Uganda Ltd, M/S Tomil Fireworks Uganda Limited, M/S Goshen Africa Uganda Ltd, Fesco Ltd, Light Africa Uganda Ltd, and Fire Works 7000. A total of 1,907 sites for fireworks exhibitions have been officially cleared.
All territorial commanders are tasked to watch out for organizers who set off fireworks outside the permitted times, which can be dangerous to the public. They have been further tasked to police the event and create task teams to prevent disruptions caused by forbidden fireworks. In addition, and in close coordination with the contractors, they:-
– Shall review and approve the location of proposed fireworks discharge sites.
– Shall provide supervision and guidance to fireworks operators, prior to setting up the display, during discharge, of fireworks and after discharge to assist in determining that the launch area is safe.
– At their discretion, they shall have the authority to suspend or terminate the display due to weather or any other grounds deemed unsafe.
– The fireworks display contractor, shall be required to conduct an onsite safety assessment.
– The fireworks operator shall supply 10 fire extinguishers properly tagged and functioning.
– The fireworks operator shall supply; fireworks tools and equipment for transporting and receiving, safety on-site storage and the necessary number of qualified personnel needed to setup, fire the display and thoroughly clear the entire area of fireworks debris at the conclusion of the event.
– All displays shall be set up employing methods for interrupting firing in case an unforeseen danger becomes evident.
– An operator positioned to have the display at the site shall ignite fireworks displays. Remote ignition systems not under direct control of the onsite operator will not be permitted.
– Aerial displays shall not include free floating devices or shells, less than 3 inches in diameters.
– No spectators or spectator parking areas shall be located in the display site.
– All structures, buildings and premises located within the display site shall remain unoccupied during the display.
– The presence of a modest number of trees and shrubs is not a safety problem, provided they are not numerous to make it difficult to locate unexploded aerial shells or pose a serious fire safety threat.
– Fireworks must be aerial fireworks.
– Keep all fireworks materials dry, and away from bad weather.
– Prohibit smoking, matches, lighters, open flames within 50 feet of fireworks material.
– Prohibit persons who are under the influence of alcohol, narcotics or medications that could adversely affect judgment, mobility or stability.
– No cell phone or radio frequency generating devices are permitted within the immediate discharge area.
– Wear all protective equipment appropriate for setup duties.
– Verify all mortars and racks are made of approved materials, and are of sufficient strength, length and durability to allow shells to be propelled to safe deflagration heights.
– Must ensure the neighbourhood are informed of the fireworks through the media and local authorities ie LCs.
– Verify rescue and emergency medical service units are available and ready to respond.
– Maintain crowd control, utilizing barriers and monitors.
– Disable any electric firing switches and disconnect all electric cables.
– After at least 15 minutes, conduct search of the display and fall out areas.
– Follow proper marking and warning for unexpected shells.
– Ensure that all unused line products are accounted for, properly handled, repackaged and secured by counter terrorism personnel.
Attached is a list of 1907 venues granted permission. We wish you all Happy New-Year Celebrations.
FIREWORKS DISPLAY APPLICATION WORD DOC. 2023 FIREWORKS DISPLAY UPDATED 2023
SCP ENANGA FRED